Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 20:24:33 -0700
From:      "John Howie" <JHowie@msn.com>
To:        "Andre Gironda" <andre@sun4c.net>, "Scott I. Remick" <scott@computeralt.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Help me win the MS-Proxy/ipfw war

----- Original Message -----
From: Andre Gironda <andre@sun4c.net>
To: Scott I. Remick <scott@computeralt.com>
Cc: <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, September 27, 1999 6:13 PM

> NT cannot be used in an Internet environment (or as a bastion host)
> because of the serious security implications.  Netbios, IIS, and WINS
> are very insecure and instable applications/protocols

It is possible to tighten these holes up and to make your NT system secure
on the external (Internet) interface... But then you can't do remote
administration using the external network interface as you need access to
the NetBIOS ports (use a VPN to access the internal interface and you can).
You will spend most of your time making sure that your system is secure but
always have the nagging doubt that you missed something or a new hole has
been discovered.

All I can say is "God bless Microsoft", they keep me in a job securing
Windows NT installations, usually by using FreeBSD :-) as a firewall.

john...