Date:      Wed, 5 Jul 2000 21:39:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Kuzak <kuzak@kuzak.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Max 4 CD-Roms?

> From: Kuzak <kuzak@kuzak.net>
> I'm putting together a 9 cdrom, cd server and hoping to compare it to
> an identical Windows NT machine..   I'm runnning into a problem with
> more than 4 cd-roms though...  I have 5 hooked up right now, and
> cd0-4 show up in the /var/run/dmesg.boot.  I went to make all the
> dev stuff..  sh MAKEDEV cd0  -> cd3 worked fine, but when I ran a
> sh MAKEDEV cd4, it appear that nothing was done, at least
> ls *cd4* produces nothing.  I've been able to mount the other 4,
> and tried using different cdroms to no avail.  Does FreeBSD only
> support 4 cdrom devices, or am I doing something wrong?

My first guess is that you made a mistake - you're running an old
version of FreeBSD, instead of a recent one. "./MAKEDEV cd5" produces
files for cd0 through cd5 on my -current system, and the relevant code
in MAKEDEV is the same as on the 4.0-RELEASE cdrom.

What version are you running? If it's older than 4.0-RELEASE, you
should upgrade. If not, then something strange is going on, and more
information is needed. The output of "sh -x MAKEDEV cd4" is probably
best.

	<mike