Date:      Wed, 01 Jul 1998 11:44:41 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG

> Jun 19 14:41:24 shrimp /kernel: (ahc0:2:0): "MICROP 4691WS T171" type 0 fixed SCSI 2
> Jun 19 14:41:24 shrimp /kernel: sd2(ahc0:2:0): Direct-Access 8681MB (17780058 512 byte sectors)

If this is a Tomahawk (I think it is), you need new firmware.

http://www.freebsd.org/~msmith/firmware/micropolis_tomahawk.tar.gz

Also, I would recommend shuffling things so that only Wide devices are
connected to your Wide controller, and turn termination on/on on it and
on the device at the other end of the chain.

Then terminate the internal end of the narrow chain, and run it through
your narrow controller.  Terminate the external and of the narrow
chain, and turn termination off on the controller.

This is akin to keeping trucks off the highway.