Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:12:44 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        steinyv <steinyv@skyweb.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Symbios 53C875j

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 02:46:07AM -0400, steinyv wrote:
> Yes but on an Intel VS440FX PPro board.  On everyother board I have, the
> same thing.
> I even tried 4.1RC with the same results.....
> This thing has got me.
> One thing though, I think the only way to install is to install with
> another card and compile with the ncr driver, I havent tried it yet, but
> just my opinion......
> If you hear otherwise, let me know.
>

> At 02:14 AM 7/27/00 , you wrote:
> >Hello All
> >Has someone successfully installed a
> >Symbios 53C875j controller on FreeBSD 4.0 ?

I use a Diamond Fireport 40 UW card which has that very chip. It's
been in my machine since ~2.2.8 and has always worked fine.

It uses the sym driver. this is the SCSI stuff in my kernel config
file:

# SCSI Controllers
device          sym             # NCR/Symbios Logic (newer chipsets)

# SCSI peripherals
device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required)
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
device          sa              # Sequential Access (tape etc)
device          cd              # CD
device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)

and the dmesg output:

sym0: <875> port 0x6600-0x66ff mem 0xe1002000-0xe1002fff,0xe1001000-0xe10010ff irq 10 at device 9.0 on pci0
sym0: Symbios NVRAM, ID 7, Fast-20, SE, parity checking
sym0: open drain IRQ line driver, using on-chip SRAM
sym0: using LOAD/STORE-based firmware.
sym0: SCAN AT BOOT disabled for targets 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 12 13 14 15.

HTH

> >Thanks

> >with "unsubscribe freebsd-hardware" in the body of the message

  If I buy a copy of WinDelete, and it doesn't delete Windows,
  am I entitled to my money back?