Date:      Thu, 07 Dec 1995 13:00:07 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE, wollman@lcs.mit.edu, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysctl status right now, and plea for testing.

> > It's not like it has ever been documented to a level where too many
> > people would claim to know how it's supposed to work though... :-(
> I really need this now..

And I do for PCCARD and Stefan does for PCI...

> This brings up the point..
> Should we have a single time drivers are called for initialisation, etc.?
> I can see the driver being called once on loading or booting
> to add devsw entried
> once to probe
> once to put sysctl stuff in
> etc..
> I wouldn't mind making sure we co-ordinate on this..
> particularly, devfs and devconf look like they might be duplicating
> some structure..

Why does it need to put in devsw before probe ?

How about:

	probe
		(may examine sysctl for hints)

	attach
		(may examine sysctl for hints)
		devsw reg.
		sysctl reg.
		devfs reg.

> I was thinking of having an 'info' page for each device in devfs
> # cat /dev/fd0.info
> Floppy Disk
> IRQ=6
> DMA=4
> capacity=1.44MB
> driver version 1.45
> #
> sounds like sysctl is trying to do the same thing..

I would argue that we should not do this in devfs.  I don't like to
mix the functionality.

If anything, we should make a sysctlfs then, even though I don't like
that idea too much either.

> I don't quite understand how devconf and sysctl go together..
> do they?

devconf hijacked sysctl to get info from kernel to user and back.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.