Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2002 14:05:34 +0100
From:      Alex Kiesel <freebsd@document-root.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IpSec behind NAT

Hi,

I am trying to setup a Host-to-Subnet IPsec-Tunnel. The basic
configuration does work, as I can ping any host on the subnet from my
single "road-warrior"-host.

Host1                                            subnetxyz
      \                                        /
Host2 -  Roadwarrior --- INTERNET --- IPsec-Gw - subnetxxx
      /                                        \
Host3                                            subnetbla

Host1,2,3 all have private ip addresses 192.168.1.x
Subnets have distinct ip-addresses e.g. 172.17.x.x

Being logged in to Roadwarrior I can ping to any host on any of those
subnets, which I conclude from that my basic setup does work.

But the roadwarrior is my nets firewall, so working from there is not
what I want to do. I want to work from Host1. When I ping any host on
a right subnet, I can see following things:

- the ping gets nat'ed to my public ip-address [which is ok]
- the ping gets encrypted and is sent to the ipsec-gw. [ok]
- the ping reaches the destination host, and he answeres
- the answer travels back over the encrypted tunnel to my roadwarrior
- the packet even gets through my natd, but the destination address is
  not rewritten to my host1 ip-address, so does not reach me.

I have to add that the remote gateway does only permit
host-to-subnet-tunnel, so that I have to do nat. The problem is simply
that the received packets do not get rewritten...

Did anyone have had such a problem? Any help is appreciated :)

Thanks,
Alex

--
Alex Kiesel                                     PGP Key: 0x09F4FA11

Todays excuse: A star wars satellite accidently blew up the WAN.