Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 1998 21:43:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sean Harding <sharding@ophelia.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Saffa J. Kemokai" <sulima@sulima.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Host is down ...

On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Saffa J. Kemokai wrote:

> But when you ping from from this BSD box, you get "host is down" msg and
> from all indications, you are reasonably certain that the BSD is not
> making the trip to/thru the router ... WHERE DO YOU GO FROM HERE ..???

If you make all of the above assumptions, your options are quite limited.
It sounds to me that your default route isn't set correctly. Take a look
at the output of 'netstat -rn'. Make sure 'default' is correct. Mine looks
like this:

default            128.223.194.1      UGSc       28     2379       ed1

sean

--
"Believe me, the truth is we're not honest. Not the people that we dream."
 --10,000 Maniacs, "Eden"