Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 19:34:54 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fxtv 0.4

Doug White:
 |http://resnet.uoregon.edu/dwhite/redscreen.gif

Got it.

 |This was using fxtv 0.4.
 |
 |> BTW, the XImage stuff is fine.  Since the driver doesn't support 32bpp
 |> 8-8-8 BGR DMA transfers yet, fxtv is just telling you it can't tell the
 |> driver to DMA straight to the video card, so it's going to drop-back and
 |> capture to memory first, swap the pixel bits using the CPU, and then pop
 |> that onto the video window using ximages.
 |
 |The Mach64 is an exception.  24bit == 32bit on it, and the buffer is
 |GBR.  How much more off-base can we get? :)

The ordering of the components is what prevents direct DMA to video card
(with the current bt driver that is), but I'd still like to fix the bug in
the fxtv pixel conversion.  All the code is there to convert between
arbitrary pixel formats - just needs a tweak or two.

Can you send me the output of:

     xdpyinfo

in the mode configuration you're seeing the strange display.  I'd also be
interested in the startup output of:

     fxtv -debug

up until the point where it gets the window on the screen.

 |I'll try to describe the direct video that I get.  It's hard since I can't
 |capture it using xv or freezeframe (freezeframe crashes fxtv 0.3.2
 |in this mode!).
 |
 |It appears that the video has been black/white inverted.  Faces are black
 |with highlights that are speckled color.  The screen is very dim.  Turning
 |the brightness all the way up gives me a black screen.

Cool!  Now I'm clueless..  Hopefully the command output shed some light.   :-)

Randall