Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 11:59:04 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Andy" <andy@tecc.co.uk>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Q regarding booting from Mylex acceleraid170

> I have a Dell Poweredge 2550 with on board SCSI 7899 controller.
> That controller is not actually fitted to any drives, only the
> tape unit (DDS3).
>
> I actually have a Mylex Acceleraid170 board attached to the four
> Scsi drives creating a single drive volume. All seems to work fine
> but the boot up is painfully slow, for example:-

This looks like an incompatibility between the Mylex firmware and the
intelligent backplane in the server:

> /kernel: mly0: physical device 0:6  sense data received
> /kernel: mly0:   sense key 5  asc 00  ascq 00
> /kernel: mly0:   info 00000000  csi 00000000

This is the Mylex card being unhappy about the backplane...

> [Wait a further 3 minutes here, then]
>
> /kernel: mly0:  enclosure 6 unit 0 access offline

And here it finally gives up on it.

> Anyone any idea why this is all so slow? Not complaining too
> much since it works but I can't help thinking I've done something
> wrong because of this.

It's an incompatibility between the backplane and the Mylex controller.
You might try looking for firmware upgrades from Dell or Mylex, but
realistically Dell use Adaptec and AMI controllers and they aren't likely
to support your use of another vendor's controllers in their hardware.

Mylex technical support might have something to say on the subject,
although the results you'll get will vary enormously depending on which
tech you get and whether they're a Linux bigot or not.

Your best alternative would be to swap to a comparable AMI controller,
something like a MegaRAID Express 500.