Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:00:47 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org>
To:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Advice on webmail server

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Jerry McAllister wrote:

> > I thought of Squirrelmail as the likely candidate. Mostly internal

Make sure that you compile/activate SSL support in to the imap client
linked in with PHP - See the relevant make files in ports (it is something
like WITH_SSL=YES). OR search for my name, squirrelmail and imap for a
patch which allows localhost non-ssl and public-ssl. As otherwise you may
find it hard to enforce SSL on the outside connections while also making
it work with Squirrelmail.

You propably also want to pick apache with ssl - just to ensure some level
of privacy and safety.

> > going to make the 4x72.8G a raid5 and that be the mail spool
> > partition. Is that sound like a good idea?

Combined with quota's if you are using user-level accounts (but you may
want to look into cyrus - although a pain to setup; it does allow for a
lot of automation when your userbase often mutates).

> > I've not used FreeBSD for anything like this before and frankly am not
> > sure what changes from default I should use, if any. Should I stick
> > with 4.10, or is 5.2.1 OK? Any sysctl changes? Default kernel OK?

I'd consider quota's (see the Handbook) and adding the firewall (with a
default ACCEPT) just in case you later need to block something abused.

> stick with 4.10 for now.

Aye - you should be fine for the next years.

Dw.