Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 18:27:42 -0500
From:      "Edward Ing" <inge@home.com>
To:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: TCP/IP on LAN drops after a few minutes.

>What do you mean by "drops"?  What are the symptoms?  What version of
>FreeBSD?  Please describe what you observe.

Version: FreeBSD 2.2.8. Using a DEC203 (Etherworks3) card. (le0 device).
Running on a VESA bus 486 with 32M of ram and scsi disks. The network card
is ISA.
I configured FreeBSD to have 2 NICs. One to the Internet and one to my
private (non-registered ip) with ip forwarding turned off. I also ensure
that only TCP/IP was running on the Windows Machines.(i.e. no windows
networking).

The TCP/IP communications stops working at about 5 minutes every time after
the FreeBSD machine is booted and rebooted. If I try to ftp or ping the
FreeBSD box from WindowsNT or Window98 ping fails (times out) and ftp fails.
From the FreeBSD side if I start pinging the Windows machine and let it
continue right after I reboot, ping is okay at first but within 5 minutes
the pinging will fail and a message will say something to the effect that
"There is no buffer space available" everytime it tries to ping.

If I start pinging after a period after reboot when I know the TCP/IP is
down ping will tell me that there is a timeout.

I am pretty sure the problem is on FreeBSD for the following reasons, if I
try WindowsNT or Windows95, I have the problem. Using the same network card
with Linux as the server rather that FreeBSD, I have no problem. If I swap
the DEC 203 with another DEC 203 on FreeBSD, I still get the problem. But
now I have swapped out the DEC and replaced it with a SMC adapter (ed0) and
I have no problems.

This doesn't solve the problem. It just avoids it. I wish I know enough
about FreeBSD to poke around an figure out what is going on.

When the TCP/IP droped I did netstat -r to check if the problem was not a
routing problem, but netstat -r told me everything was okay. ie. My
defaultroute and the gateway to my LAN was listed in the table.

I also tried disabling routing  and gateway on FreeBSD to isolate the
problem. And also I made sure I did not have default route on Windows setup
which is other than FreeBSD.