Date:      Sun, 06 Jun 1999 14:41:54 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Joao Pedras <jpedras@mail.telepac.pt>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: postscript printer 4 FreeBSD

Joao Pedras wrote:

> Only the bigger models (from HP) seem to have PostScript 3. That would blow up
> the budget for this $:)

I'm looking like you are. I need a Postscript printer but keep wavering
because of the Postscript 2 and 3 problem. I like HP hardware and only
have problems with the initial software that goes out with some of their
products. Xerox and Lexmark have Postscript printer's but I don't know
what their duty cycle is. I really like the appearance from the 4000. I
think you would get a similar appearance from the 2100m. The only thing
you would miss is duplex printing but you could purchase two 2100m's for
the price of a 4000 with duplexing added.

I've talked people into buying the 4000 but just can't quite do it
myself. I bought an HP-1600c when they were new models and regreted it
after about two months. The printing by HP-89x's, which had 600x600
color, was so much better than 300x300 color from the 1600 was that
there wasn't a comparison. Duty cycle on the 89x's was 1000 pages of
black and 160 pages of color a month. I was printing more than 1000
pages of color a month. It was a question of durability or appearance
and durability won.

> Do you recomend printer(s) from other manufacturers ? What do you use ?

I use HP. I don't have any experience with any other printer
manufacturer.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html