Date:      Sat, 03 Oct 1998 18:15:28 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Manfred Antar <mantar@netcom.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>, osa@etrust.ru, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CRUSH after recompile kernel...

> Just out of curiosity I built an elf kernel without the debugger and
> tried the /boot/loader.
> It worked fine.
> so the problem  had something to do with the debugger code.
> I'll test it more Sunday.

Ok.  I have a pretty good idea as to what might be going on now;
thanks for the input.  If you want to do something really helpful,
print the values of bootinfo.bi_symtab and bootinfo.bi_esymtab in the
non-debugger kernel, and then load it with btxboot and the loader.

Put a printf somewhere in machdep.c, eg. around about where it tests to
call userconfig().

My guess is that there's something wrong with the symbol table
information coming in, and it causes ddb to explode.