Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 1999 15:47:04 +0100 (CET)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
Cc:        Peter Sidow <psi@munich.sgi.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Multiple=?iso-8859-1?Q?_CPU=B4s?= ?

On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, Micke Josefsson wrote:

> On 26-Nov-99 Peter Sidow wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am running at home an older version ( 2.2.5 I think ) and know that
> > that version is only good for one CPU.
> > But does 3.3 support multiple cpu=B4s? I have a giga motherboard with t=
wo
> > I 586 and would like to use both
> > processors. I looked into the kernel configuration file from the
> > handbook but there is still no choice for selecting
> > two ore more cpu=B4s.
> >=20
> > Regards and thanks!
> First you will need at least version 3.0.
>=20
> Look into /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC
>=20
> there you will find:
>=20
> # To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
> #options        SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
> #options        APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O
> # Optionally these may need tweaked, (defaults shown):
> #options        NCPU=3D2                  # number of CPUs
> #options        NBUS=3D4                  # number of busses
> #options        NAPIC=3D1                 # number of IO APICs
> #options        NINTR=3D24                # number of INTs
>=20
> I just uncommented the two first options and recompiled the kernel. At th=
e next
> boot both processors came up.
>=20
> With the 'top' command you'll have an extra column indicating which CPU i=
> doing what.
>=20
> My motherboard TYAN 1669(?) needed its BIOS updated, but all was easy aft=
er
> that.

Furthermore, after booting the generic single-cpu kernel, you can run
`mptable' (in `/usr/sbin') to view some parameters for your board which
may be useful for configuring the SMP kernel.

Regards

//
// Konrad Heuer                                  ____            ___  _____=
__=20
// Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche           / __/______ ___ / _ )/ __=
/ _ \
//    Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen          / _// __/ -_) -_) _  |\ \/=
 // /
// Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen              /_/ /_/  \__/\__/____/___=
/____/=20
// Deutschland (Germany)                      ----- The Power to Serve ----=