Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 01:10:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc 2.8.1 Exceptions?

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Amancio Hasty wrote:

> Not sure if exception handling on gcc-2.7.3 is buggy or what however per the
> simple
> minded program which I posted exception handling on gcc-2.7.3 appears to work.

AFAIK it's non-existant without some patches or somesuch.

> Now to get exception handling with gcc-2.8.1 from the porst dristribution
> working on FreeBSD
>  defined in defaults.h:
>
> #define DWARF2_UNWIND_INFO  0
>                                                  ^^^ which was 1 before.
>
> If I am not mistaken the above sets the exception handling to something like
> -fsjlj-exceptions.

Well this may have fixed it for a.out, but didn't work for me with ELF
binaries.  The best solution is to use egcs and its startup objects so you
can get threadsafe exceptions and not have to deal with stupid defines.
There's a patch to do this in the egcs port (patch-ak).  Plus from what
I've heard egcs 1.1.1 is a more reliable C++ compiler (hey it works with
KOffice and *shudder* mico).

> Currently working on porting Netscape's Electric Fire to FreeBSD. "EF"
> is a very cool java vm which translates java classes straight to
> machine instructions 8)

Cool.

- alex