Date:      Thu, 03 Dec 1998 20:06:24 +0100
From:      Rick Saltzman <rick@aixia.net>
To:        support@cdrom.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, rick@aixia.net
Subject:   Booting from cdrom

FreeBSD 2.2.7 Walnut Creek CDROM
P2 with Adaptec SCSI AHA-2940AU BIOS
SCSI ID:LUN 0:0 Micropolis (4GByte)
SCSI ID:LUN 0:2 Pioneer CDROM DR-U06S

It fails to boot from CDROM.  Gets past the bios(es) and as far as:

/

And thats it.  Just hangs forever.  When I put an IDE cd drive in it works
just fine.  Is there a known problem with SCSI only boxes?  There are several
Adaptec parameters in the adaptec bios for booting which when modified do not
change this behaviour.  There are several selections in the Award Bios for
boot sequence which do not change this either.  I've read the web docs and
news but don't see anything similar to my problem.  All docs seem to say that
SCSI just works which is true AFTER I've created a bootable hard disk.  Then I
can mount cdroms to my hearts content.  But I cannot boot from the
distribution boot cd except if my drive is an IDE.

Rick Saltzman