Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 1995 15:08:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      -Vince- <vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        gary@palmer.demon.co.uk, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org, john@zyqad.co.uk, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

On Mon, 14 Aug 1995, Bruce Evans wrote:

> >>	I forgot who mentioned on the list that 4 GB was the limit.  What
> >>brand is the 9GB SCSI on news.cdrom.com?
>
> >Sorry? They're lying/mistaken. It used to be a 2GB limit (not 4 - they
> >were unsigned ints), but that restriction vanished quite a while ago
> >(somewhere between 2.0 and 2.0.5). AFAIR, it's now 1TB.
>
> The limit for disk addresses used to be 4GB (not 2 - they (sic) were
> unsigned ints), due to localized bugs in the disk block to byte
> conversion macros.  This was fixed quite a while ago.  Now the limit is
> 31 bits of disk block address and 9 bits of DEV_BSIZE size for a total
> of 2^40 = 1TB.
>
> The limit for file sizes and mmap offsets and/or addresses is 2GB due
> to sign extension bugs everywhere.

	Oh okay, so I wonder when drives that size will be available?

Cheers,
-Vince- vince@kbrown.oldcampus.yale.edu - GUS Mailing Lists Admin
UCLA Physics/Electrical Engineering - UC Berkeley Fall '95
SysAdmin bigbang.HIP.Berkeley.EDU - Running FreeBSD, Real UN*X for Free!
Chabot Observatory & Science Center - Board of Advisors