Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 1999 08:50:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
To:        Jake Hill <jah@alien.bt.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: running on Alpha

Jake Hill writes:
 > Mikhail Teterin wrote:
 > >
 > > After several years of installing,  using, and administrating FreeBSD on
 > > various Intel machines, I'm about to  try it on an Alpha workstation. Is
 > > there anything in particular I should watch out for? Thanks!
 >
 > I think that nobody on this list knows the answer to that question. ;-)

 > Yes this response is a bit of a troll, I admit. But after recently
 > asking an Alpha type question on this list and getting not one response,
 > I am starting to assume that there ain't many of us about!

That's because most of the people working on alpha monitor the
freebsd-alpha list, not freebsd-questions.

 > I am a bit of a newbie to FreeBSD. I have it running here on some Intel
 > machines, where I'm doing some IPSec work. Our experience with Linux and
 > FreeS/WAN suggests that it is handy to have some 64bit hardware about
 > when coding. ;-) This is why I'm keen to get FreeBSD up on my 164LX board.
 >
 > It seems there are a host of FAQs regarding FreeBSD on Alpha which are
 > not answered anywhere (if they are, I'm sorry---I have looked and failed
 > to find answers to my question). Can somebody explain to me why the
 > -alpha list is no longer? I think the lack of any dedicated Alpha
 > resource is a big omission.

Subscribe to the freebsd-alpha email list and I think you will
find plenty of people who will answer your questions.

 > Cheers,
 >
 > /.J

M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790