Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 11:24:57 +0100
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: documenting nonexistent files

Great work. I like it. Wish I had such a thing when I started to stumble
around FreeBSD...

Here's my $.02:

Rich Morin wrote:
[snip]

> =====
> [snip]
> defaults        / default configuration files

Add a note not to change the files in the defaults directory, but to
create a file with the same name in the /etc directory, and to just put
the changed values into.

>   make.conf     + configuration variables for system builds (see make(1))
>   pccard.conf   + configuration file for pccardd(8)
>   rc.conf       + system configuration info (see rc.conf(5))
> disktab         + disk description file (see disktab(5))
> dm.conf         + configuration file for games (see dm(6))

[snip]

> mail            / sendmail(8) mail transport agent control files
>   sendmail.cf   - raw control file; presence tested by /etc/rc
>   *             - assorted sendmail(8) control files

Please add a pointer to the FreeBSD sendmail make mechanism.

[snip]

> phones          + phone number database for tip(1) (see phones(5)
> pim6dd.conf     + configuration file for pim6dd(8) (see pim6dd.conf(5))
> pim6sd.conf     + configuration file for pim6sd(8) (see pim6sd.conf(5))

A hint to /etc/ppp/... (both userland and kernel) would be helpful

[snip]

> rc              + system startup script (see init(8), rc(8))
> rc.alpha        1 startup script for (Alpha) axp-specific processing
> rc.atm          + networking startup script for atm(8)

rc.conf  - System configuration file, overrides settings in
/etc/defaults/rc.conf

[snip]

> rc.local        - startup script; run by /etc/rc

Add: N.B: A better place to start local services is /usr/local/etc/rc.d/

HTH
-Christoph Sold