Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2000 18:46:04 -0500
From:      Gerd Knops <gerti@bitart.com>
To:        Hampton Maxwell <maxwell@101freeway.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vinum on root partition

Hampton Maxwell wrote:
> Is it possible to have a vinum mirrored volume as the root
> partition on a 4.0-STABLE machine? I browsed the man pages and list
> archives which seemed to suggest support would be added later but
> no confirmation of whether it was in or how to implement it.
> If not, anyone have suggestions on the best way to get fault
> tolerance in the case that the drive with the root partition goes
> down.

I administer a number of remote machines, all of which are
accessible by 'non experts'.

I use this schema: 2 identical disks, with 3 partitions each: /,
/usr and /home. The /home partition is a vinum partition. The / and
/usr partitions I copy over 'manually' (using pax, which is quite
fast) whenever a change is made to them.

If the primary drive goes down, the 'remote people' just need to
swap the drives, (I mount them in mobile racks), if the secondary
drive goes down there is no downtime at all.

One BIG advantage of this setup: I can run remote 'make
buildworld/installworld' sessions, and if something goes wrong, I can
just have the 'remote' people swap the drives and start over.

Not a perfect solution for everyone, but works great for me.

Gerd