Date:      Thu, 07 Oct 2004 08:57:59 -0700
From:      David Armour <dfarmour@myrealbox.com>
To:        Toomas Aas <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How-to capture error messages from ... recent

Hello Toomas,

Thanks a lot for your reply!

> Before starting the installation, issue this command:
>	script /var/tmp/portinstall.log
> After finishing the installation ...
>	exit

That worked perfectly. There's a number of "Error code 1"s in there. But at least I
can read up on 'em in a more leisurely fashion.:c)

> Unfortunately I am not familiar with instant-workstation port
> ... it may be safer to leave [various port configure options]
> as defaults.

I *had* been pretty much doing that. The Postfix config screen, though, presents a
screen full of alphabet soup options. It was late. I was tired. I should've known
better.

I came across instant-workstation late last year while using Greg Lehey's Complete
FreeBSD book to install 5.0-Release on my wife's dual-boot (Windows ME). The
port installs fifteen/sixteen sub-ports (acroread, gimp, kde, etc.), and the postfix one
gets installed towards the end of the instant-workstation install. I suspect I now have
to go into each sub-port and 'make clean,' since the inst.-work. didn't get that far.

> * Cannibal's recipe book: How to Serve Your Fellow Man.

Thanks again. (Love the tagline!)

-- df (dave) armour <at> my real box <dought> calm! --