Date:      Fri, 02 Apr 1999 01:30:54 -0600
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        mmercer@ipass.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: removing a.out executables found in /usr/sbin?

In message <19990402132258.V413@lemis.com>, Greg Lehey wrote:
} On Thursday,  1 April 1999 at 22:17:01 -0500, Michael E. Mercer wrote:
} > Hello all,
} >
} > I have found a few executables in /usr/sbin that are
} > a.out format...(at least that is what the command 'file' is telling
} > me)
} >
} > Is it feasible to delete these files with no impact???
}
} That depends on whether you want to use them or not :-)
}
} > I would assume a 'make world' recompiled everything it needed
} > in ELF format, therefore any a.out format files would not be
} > needed?!?!?!
}
} I don't think they're from FreeBSD.  If so, they would have been
} overwritten by new versions.

Unless there _is_ no new version; /sbin/dset is a good example of cruft that
gets left behind after upgrading to 3.1, and there are other examples
as well.

--
   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@pobox.com