Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 19:06:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nclayton@lehman.com>
Cc:        a disembodied voice emerging from the chaos of reality <cjc26@cornell.edu>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Tani Hosokawa <unknown@riverstyx.net>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sanity regained -- back with the best

On 21-Jul-99 Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 06:34:55PM -0500, Conrad Sabatier wrote:
>>
>> Looks like we're getting a team together here.  :-)  Anyone else
>> out
>> there with any experience with other distros?
>
> Not sure, but this is certainly encouraging.  I'd desperately like
> to see
> a Linux users Primer for FreeBSD, along the same lines as the
> DocProj
> Primer.
>
> To kick you all off, here's some ideas for organisation and
> possible
> chapter titles for the 'book'[1]
>
>      Introduction
>          What is FreeBSD?
>          Why choose FreeBSD?
>          Why choose Linux?
>      Installation
>          Boot and root disks
>          sysinstall
>          Post-installation configuration
>      System configuration
>          /etc/
>          /usr/local/etc/
>      Installing third party apps
>          Packages
>          Ports
>      Networking
>          PPP
>          Ethernet
>      Disks
>          Floppy disks
>          Fixed disks
>          CD-ROM
>      Audio
>          Sound cards
>
> and more.  None of these chapters has to go in to a great deal of
> detail
> about how FreeBSD does things (that's what the Handbook is for),
> but it
> does have to explain how FreeBSD differs from Linux.  This is where
> think there'll probably be a lot of tables, showing the FreeBSD
> command in
> one column, and the equivalent Linux (Redhat/Debian/SuSE/whatever)
> commands
> in other columns.
>
> The important thing to remember is to keep it task-based.  I don't
> expect
> a Linux user to read through something like this in one go.  More
> likely
> is that they'll be trying to accomplish some task (for example,
> viewing
> the routing table) and they'll know how to do it in Linux, but have
> no
> idea how to do it in FreeBSD.
>
> Make sense?

> [1]  That's just a DocBook-ism, don't be put off, it doesn't mean
> you
>      have to write thousands of words.

Thanks.  I was planning on setting up some sort of outline to share
with the others who mentioned an interest in working on this, and
your suggestions are a great help.

Give me some time to get something going here.  I'll pass on my
initial ideas to the other guys, and we'll see what starts to take
shape.

Moving this discussion over to freebsd-doc from here on in.

Conrad

E-Mail: Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>