Date:      Sat, 14 May 2016 11:03:05 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@mail.turbofuzz.com>
To:        Ruslan Yakauleu <quazinode@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: State of native encryption in ZFS

> On May 14, 2016, at 1:54 AM, Ruslan Yakauleu <quazinode@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> I wish to know somethign new about native encryption in ZFS for =
FreeBSD.
> Any works in this direction are conducted?

Short and simple answer:  No.

We also recently talked to Matt Ahrens (essentially the OpenZFS =
=E2=80=9Cproject lead=E2=80=9D and who determines what goes upstream) at =
the FreeBSD Storage Summit and he expressed very little interest in =
=E2=80=9Cnative encryption=E2=80=9D for ZFS, seeing little to no benefit =
(for what would be a lot of engineering work) in doing it at the ZFS =
layer vs simply continuing to use the GELI encryption at the =
block-device layer that FreeBSD already supports.

It=E2=80=99s not even clear how that encryption would be implemented or =
exposed.  Per pool?  Per dataset?  Per folder?  Per file?  There have =
been requests for all of the above at one time or another, and the key =
management challenges for each are different.  They can also be =
implemented at a layer above ZFS, given sufficient interest.

- Jordan