Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 10:03:09 -0400
From:      "J. W. Ballantine" <jwb@homer.att.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   freebsd hardware early warning system???

Hi

   I have a strange question about freebsd and potential "almost-broken"
hardware.  I have a NCR630 with an Adaptec AHA2490 and a 3COM etherlink III.
I'm running NT and did have current on it.  The other day I tried to reboot
FreeBSD-current and the FB boot process hung, first before the disk checks and
then after the disk checks with the SCSI disk light locked on. (Did this a
few times.)

   I then decided to load 980311-SNAP and the system would hang when it tried
to establish the default route to the router. (several times)

   At this point I rebooted the system to NT, and lo and behold the network
card wasn't working.  After a couple of reboots, it started working again
and I had conductivity again.

   Anyway, wondering if the SNAP was a problem, I tried to load 2.2.6-RELEASE,
and this load hung when it was trying to start the emergency shell.

   Also, the boot manager (osbsbeta) would stop working, and after I check
on it, and found it ok, it would work again.

   So anyway my question is FreeBSD stressing something on the system that
would detect "early" hardware problems that aren't found under NT??  And
could the "locked" disk cause the network board to lock up and/or cause the
bootmanager problem?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks

Jim Ballantine