Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 11:28:02 +0930 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Dual-Athlon vs Dual-PIII ... opinions?

On 10-Aug-00 The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>  AMD is cheaper but I've been 'Intel' since I started with computers
>  ... any drawbacks as far as SMP under FreeBSD?  benefits?

You can not use AMD chips in an SMP machine (ie no SMP chipset exists).

If you want a dual processor system you need Intel..

Also remember that if you overclock your Celeron to 100mhz FSB the only
difference between in and a PII is cache size (64kb vs 512kb).

>  if I throw cost away, are the Intel's still the better choice for a Unix
>  environment?  I heard somehwere that AMD was great for gamers ... but what
>  about "real work"?

Well, for a UP machine a K7 beats an Intel at the same speed grade  in all
operations (FPU and integer)...

Disclaimer: I only have a crappy PII-350 but I lust after K7-700's ;)

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum