Date:      Fri, 04 May 2007 12:17:49 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to make Apache (2.2.4) less greedy, or Sendmail less polite?

--------------enig875B734D17E1B39C3E5BC07B

Olaf Greve wrote:

> Will that not have some other downsides? I remember that previously whe=
n=20
> running PHP on the CGI, that e.g. a lot of debugging power got lost, as=
=20
> each and every error would simply either return a blank page, or simply=
=20
> an "internal servor error 500" or so.... Is that also the case with=20
> FastCGI?

Yes, in case of critical / setup errors (i.e. ones that happen "between" =

apache and php) you'll get that kind of message. Normal PHP and Apache=20
error messages and warnings are not affected.

>  >BUT, if something else changed when you switched to the new apache=20
> (e.g. PHP version, your web applications), it may not be
>  >apache's fault.
>=20
> The PHP version got upgraded from 4.4.0 to 4.4.6 too, but none of the=20
> actual application scripts changed.
>=20
> BTW: At times what one sees happening is that 2 of the httpd daemons=20
> quickly go up to (each, or in turn) about 50% (or 70% if it can grab=20
> that much), then stays quite a while at that, and then goes back to a=20
> more reasonable amount.

You'll have to correlate this with HTTP requests apache receives - maybe =

there's a PHP script that's unusually CPU intensive.

> Meanwhile: I'm still open for suggestions as to how to best make Apache=
=20
> behave less selfishly.

You may try playing with login.conf(5) (see "resource limits"), but do=20
it on a spare machine first :)

Also, you may try scaling down the number of processes Apache is allowed =

to create (at the possible expense that some clients get an error=20
message instead of a page).

Still, if the performance was OK before you switched to Apache2, my bet=20
would be that something changed in PHP or your scripts, not in Apache.