Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:26:16 -0400
From:      Anish Mistry <mistry.7@osu.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Next Generation" kernel configuration?

On Wednesday 21 July 2004 01:00 pm, Andrew Konstantinov wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 05:43:45AM -0700, Avleen Vig wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 07:39:31PM -0500, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> > > Just musing on an idea here:
> > >
> > > I've been thinking for a while now about trying to write a tool to ma=
ke
> > > kernel configuration easier, sort of a "make config" (as in ports) for
> > > the kernel, similar to what's available on some of the Linux distros.
> >
> > I've read over the other posts in this thread, but I cannot say I think
> > this is a good idea. In fact, I think it's a very bad idea, but with
> > very good intentions. Here's why..
> >
> > I'm a strong proponent of user education. The FreeBSD handbook is one of
> > the best education tools for someone who wants to use FreeBSD, right
> > from beginner to more advanced levels.
> >
> > A "config tool", while useful for beginners, would quickly result is
> > those beginners not learning about building a kernel themselves, copying
> > GENERIC to `hostname -s | tr "[:lower:]" "[:upper:]"`, editing it,
> > learning what is in LINT, remembering to look through there, etc.
> > This process teaches users a lot about how a BSD kernel is configured,
> > what options are availible, and where to look for more options.
> >
> > The end result would be more people building kernels themselves, but not
> > knowing what is actually happening, or what more is possible. It would
> > mean less educated users, and I don't think that is somewhere any
> > organization needs to go (look at what happened to the average Microsoft
> > user's IQ level, after people stopped using DOS and started having
> > machines do the work for them).
> >
> > Like I said, I think your intentions are good, but I have concerns about
> > the suggested solution.
>
> I think such a tool would actually influence user education in a positive
> way. Here is a sample scenario:
>
> 1) User starts this "program" to configure the kernel
> 2) User sees unknown to him option
> 3) User decides to look it up on www.google.com
> 4) "That's a nice feature, although I don't really need it"
> 5) GOTO 1
>
> The only suggestion I have is to make it a third party program and not
> build it into the make procedure for the kernel. It would look like
> pkg_tree that's located in ports, although with a better ncurses interfac=
e.

> Andrew
I think a tool with the functionality described in the original post would =
be=20
very nice, but it shouldn't be menu driven etc.  Something more like a kern=
el=20
dependency checker that would take the kernel config file, and check that a=
ll=20
the dependencies are correct.  ie. for umass you need da, but if you forget=
=20
you'll only get a cryptic failing of the kernel build.  Also for things lik=
e=20
bktr, which you need to have iic and friends.
Something along the lines of a command line "make depend-check" before you =
do=20
a make kernel would be nice.

=2D --=20
Anish Mistry