Date:      Wed, 08 Aug 2001 21:54:40 -0700
From:      ben <ben@stonehenge-net.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   how to restore mbr using win2k?

after hosing my win2k partition, i had to reinstall it.  in the process,
of course, it wiped my mbr, leaving me bsd-less.  i've tried running

tools/bootinst.exe boot.bin

as suggested in sysinstall, but i get the following output.  can someone
tell me what i'm doing wrong? (yes, i've checked the archives, but
they're apparently down atm.)

$ bootinst.exe boot.bin
Boot installer, version 1.7, Copyright (C) Serge Vakulenko

This utility allows you to install new boot program on your
hard disk.  The usage is:

        bootinst [bootfile]

It installs boot block from bootfile (default boot.bin) to the first
drive and, if second drive is present, to the second drive.
Old boot sectors are saved to bootsav.bin and boot2sav.bin respectively.

You can copy and distribute this software free of charge,
provided that sources are included.  No warranty, of course.

Continue with installation? (yes/no) yes
Error 128 reading boot record from disk 0