Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 03:20:13 -0700
From:      <chris.smith@raytheon.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SCSI vs ATA disks

Hi,

Help!

My box is thrashing badly with 30 users over telnet doing various things (cur
specs:- 233/128M/20G ATA33 disk)!  vmstat shows that memory really isn't a
problem (it hardly touches swap) but it's in iowait 70% of the time (excuse the
solaris term).  It's being upped to a P2/400 with 256M RAM and a nice Asus
board next week but is still stuck disk wise (I assume that is whats really
causing the problems).

Is it worth putting a 2-4 SCSI-UW disks in instead?  If so, what is likely to
be the best cost/performance economy:-

    4 x 4.5Gb disk
    2 x 9.1Gb disk

Also, are those I-Will controllers any good?  I don't really want to fish out
for something like an Adaptec controller when an I-Will one will do the job
probably just as well...

Your suggestions and experiences are welcome.

TIA

- Chris.