Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2006 17:22:32 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Adam Stroud <adam@thegeeklord.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Blob" and FreeBSD

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 09:45:52AM -0500, Adam Stroud wrote:
> I have been using both Open and Free BSD for a few years.  Here is a
> Quick question about FreeBSD and the use of third party closed source
> binary drivers (known as "blob" to the OpenBSD community).  I was just
> doing some reading on the OpenBSD website about their views on third
> closed source drivers (they are completely against them).  Are the
> FreeBSD developers/community also against the use of closed drivers?

Most people involved with open source projects dislike closed drivers, and
FreeBSD are no exception here.  FreeBSD does however tend to take a somewhat
more pragmatic approach then the OpenBSD people do, and do not absolutely
refuse to use binary-only drivers if that is the only option available.

> Are these type of drivers currently being used in FreeBSD?

Yes.  hptmv(4), nve(4) and ath_hal(4) are examples of drivers where a
significant portion of the driver is only available as binary "blob."

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson