Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 2006 17:33:31 +1000
From:      Nick Withers <nick@nickwithers.com>
To:        Mark Moellering <mark@msen.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Wireless Access Points with Atheros Cards

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 11:42:30 -0400
Mark Moellering <mark@msen.com> wrote:

> Nick,
>
> 	I tried this maybe a month back.  I added an ath card to a firewall (becoming
> the third NIC) and set it up following the directions.  While I could connect
> to the access point/firewall, I could not get to anything beyond it. After some
> reading, I decdied to buy a standalone access point and replace the
> wireless ath card with a wired card to use to connect to the access point.
> The standalone access point (Netgear) wasn't that much more than the card and
> from everything I have read is the better way to go.

I decided to go with a FreeBSD-based access point for a number
of reasons, including (in no particular order):
  - Security: I trust FreeBSD in the security arena more that I
do NetGear / D-Link / etc.
  - Security: I insisted on implementing a full-blown 802.11i /
802.1x / RADIUS configuration and as such was going to require
an 802.1x / RADIUS server anyway (I'm not aware of these
features being available on any cheap-ish stand-alone access
point, but then I'm not aware of a lot of things!)
  - Configurability: Though I have no experience with
stand-alone access points, my past experience with things like
DSL routers tells me that I'll be able to a lot more, and see
a lot more of what's going on, with a FreeBSD-based solution.
This includes things like firewalling the segment at the router
with both ingress and egress rules, implementing QoS, etc.
  - Consolidation: The customer wanted a server for things like
web proxying with anti-virus filtering, file serving and
routing anyway, so I figured I'd bundle it all into one. I did
consider the fact that this means that if the server goes down,
their LAN's down too, but this would be similar if the server
were doing the network's 802.1x work, and they also don't plan
on using the LAN extensively - it's more for internet access
and the like
  - Cost: Though we did look at several access points which
supported connecting to a backend 802.1x server, these
appeared to cost at least twice as much as an appropriate
wireless card.

I should point out that my wireless knowledge is somewhat
limited and am definitely keen on hearing any comments anyone
may have.

> 	If you are able to sned data through the access point, I would love to hear
> about it...

Certainly am. The setup's fully functional and routing traffic
from the LAN to the 'net and vice-versa. Happy to provide more
detailed information on the installation, if you like, though
perhaps off-list would be best (unless others are interested, of
course).