Date:      Wed, 29 Jun 2005 14:08:25 -0400
From:      Kurt Lidl <lidl@pix.net>
To:        Justin Hopper <jhopper@bsdhosting.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No SMP on Compaq ML350 with FBSD 5.3-RE

Justin Hopper wrote:
> I just picked up a Compaq ML350 for free from a liquidator, runs fine it
> seems, and has dual P-II 600MHz CPUs.  The BIOS post shows the two CPUs,
> as does the BIOS "System Info" function.  However, a fresh install of
> FreeBSD 5.3-RE shows only a single CPU, and utilities like "top" reflect
> this as well.  Attached is the dmesg output.  Since this is such old
> hardware, I'm really surprised that it doesn't just simply "work".
> Thoughts?

I would certainly start by installing the latest and greatest BIOS that
is available for the machine.  You don't mention exactly which version
of the ML350 you have -- there apparently were several.  If the machine
is old, chances are good that a newer BIOS exists, and probably fixes
all sorts of problems.

I found the following site, which might be helpful:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/romtabl.html

Good luck.

Oh, and I'd try 5.4 instead of 5.3 -- can't hurt ;-)

-Kurt