Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 1998 01:38:22 -0700
From:      "Dragon Knight" <dragonknight@dtgnet.com>
To:        "Khetan Gajjar" <khetan@iafrica.com>, "original recipient in envelope at link.cpt.nsc.iafrica.com" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Matthew West" <mwest@uct.ac.za>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: CD-ROM Writer

>On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Matthew West wrote:
>
>>I have an HP8100 IDE in my -STABLE box, and it's a real pain to get
anything
>>burnt on it.  I'd definitely recommend going with a SCSI burner if at all
>>possible.
>
>Hmm, ok.
>
>>I've tried the "acd" driver, and it does appear to allow me to _write_ to
the
>>CD, but it has a problem writing the TOC at the end.  So far I've only
tried
>>to burn audio tracks, but I will hopefully get a chance to try a data CD
this
>>weekend sometime.
>
>Looks like SCSI is the way to go.

SCSI is definitely the way to go as far as CD-Recorders go at least.  I have
an IDE Atapi Internal Sony CDU-928E.  It works just fine for *some* things
under Windows 9x but has just generally been a whore since I bought it.  I
hear some good things about IDE but more good about SCSI. And a lot of bad
about IDE and very little bad about SCSI stuff.   I wish i would have gotten
a SCSI drive but i didn't even know the interface existed at the time  ;)

Samuel Greear