Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 17:01:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        DCMC Customer Liaison <bgy2452@lists.dcro.dla.mil>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cable Modems

On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, DCMC Customer Liaison wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with setting up FreeBSD to access a Cable
> Modem?

>From what I understand, the normal procedure is to have an Ethernet card
in the machine, plugged into the `cable modem' decoder.  All you have to
do is tell FreeBSD about the card, install a DHCP package, and all will be
well.

This assumes that the card in your box is a Ethernet card and not some
sort of modem you talk with AT commands and such.

> p.s.  The current configuration only allows you to log on for eight hours,
> then you have to/will be logged off and have to log back on.  They said a
> warning pops up after seven hours.  So I figure I'll need a script to signon
> and log off every six hours to avoid the warning messages.

I have to wonder how they try to signal you on a UNIX box.  :-/  And how
do you resign-in on Ethernet?

If you had some more details we could be more specific.  My experiences
are from what has come across this list, and your system sounds different
from what other systems have.