Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 02:23:11 -0700
From:      "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
To:        andrew@squiz.co.nz, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X allows ordinary user to read first line of any file

On Fri, Oct 16, 1998 at 06:08:02PM +1300, Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz> wrote:

> found this on http://www.hoobie.net/security/exploits/
>
> joeuser@host$ X -config /etc/master.passwd
> Unrecognized option: root:yd0Rj.v.r1wKA:0:0::0:0:Charlie
> use: X [:<display>] [option]
> .
> .
> .
>
> I'm sure there's other files where this can be a problem, but in the case
> of the password file it seems wise to have a dummy entry as the first line
> of the master.passwd file.
>

> Andrew McNaughton

        I am sure something will correct me, but I think you are running
        the 3.3.1 version which is vulnerable I guess. It is old. You should
        really upgrade. The new release doesn't even have the -config
        options as far as I can tell:

% bin/XF86_SVGA -version
[...]
XFree86 Version 3.3.2.3 / X Window System
Operating System: FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT i386 [ELF]
[...]
% bin/XF86_SVGA -config /etc/master.passwd
bin/XF86_SVGA -config /etc/master.passwd
Unrecognized option: -config

        I am not sure if 3.0 will ship with 3.3.2.3 - Jordan?

        I myself use XiG product (hence limited knowledge of XFree86) and
        that also seem fine at first glance.

        BTW, wouldn't you kind of consider this to be a bug in XFree86 rather
        then a bug in FreeBSD OS? :)

-- Yan

I don't have the password .... + Jan Koum
But the path is chainlinked .. | Spelled Jan, pronounced Yan. There.
So if you've got the time .... | Web: http://www.best.com/~jkb
Set the tone to sync ......... + OS: http://www.FreeBSD.org