Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 23:26:57 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Shoichi Sakane <sakane@kame.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPSEC sucking up memory

Shoichi Sakane wrote:
> > While investigating a problem, I noticed that the IPSEC code
> > is initializing the sp -- even when no one is using IPSEC.
>
> > It turns out that this really, really bloats the per socket
> > memory requirements, with the only real result being a lot
> > of extra processing that could be replaced by a pointer is
> > not NULL check.
>
> > It seems to me that this could be handled in the TCP, UDP,
> > and IP userreq code by only initializing the thing in the
> > case that a policy has been set.  Is there some reason why
> > this can't be done?
>
> IPsec specification requires to consult the SPD with all of packets
> in order to handling the packet.  it defines RFC2401.
> if a pointer to the entry of the SPD is NULL, it means the security
> policy is not defined.  so the kernel consults the system wide default.
> it never means nothing to do.

So you are saying that I could establish a global default, and
make the sp pointer NULL, and have that mean "use the global
default", instead of copying identical policies all over the
place, right?

I think this would be the best approach, and it would get me
all of the redundant "deep copy" memory back in the default
case.

-- Terry