Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2011 16:02:40 -0500
From:      Pierre-Luc Drouin <pldrouin@gmail.com>
To:        Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de>
Cc:        x11-list freebsd <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Re: xf86-video-intel upgrade, anyone?

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Jan Henrik Sylvester <me@janh.de> wrote:

> [...]
> Intel processor graphics alone with non-vesa, but setting the graphics in
> BIOS to Nvidia only, it runs very well with the proprietary Nvidia driver.
> For a few month (since Nvidia 256.53), graphics works even after resuming
> from suspend. I dislike the "proprietary" on principle and the need for the
> weird nvidia-settings in particular, but it works.
>
> The rest of this mail is unrelated to graphics in case anyone is interested
> in that particular notebook.
>
> Except for Firewire, which prints out a string of errors about the hardware
> physically disappearing, all the hardware seems to work after resume from
> suspend -- I have never had that with FreeBSD before.
>
> In contrast to my earlier reports on freebsd-mobile, besides supend/resume
> the build-in microphone is now working, too, if I stick to the build-in
> speakers at the same time (more complex HDA setups probably would take me
> some time). Remaining problems: Sound over DisplayPort still does not work
> at all, the build-in UMTS (Gobi 2000) does not work due to the firmware
> loader not being available for FreeBSD, and the build-in SD slot is slower
> than the one of my Eee PC.
>
> For my previous laptops, I have always replaced the build-in wlan with an
> ath based card. The iwn device of the T510 works better than any other wlan
> device I have used before (ipw, iwi, wpi, iwn, ral, ath, ural, rum, zyd): It
> never goes down by itself and is back few seconds after resume from suspend.
>
> It took some tweaking in the beginning, but some has become obsolete with
> 8.1-RELEASE (or 8-STABLE a few weeks after 8.1-RELEASE).
>
> The fan is quiet enough for me on idle and still acceptable on high
> graphics+CPU load. (This is a huge contrast to a consumer line Dell notebook
> I tried a little over a year ago, which was much louder on idle than the
> Thinkpad on high load on FreeBSD, while the idle state was better on
> Windows: Most likely broken ACPI by Dell.)
>
> Of course, due to not being able to switch to the Intel graphics, some
> hardware drawing more power than necessary unused with just the module
> loaded for convenience, FreeBSD 8 not having a "tickless" kernel, and so on,
> the battery does not last as long as it would be possible from the hardware
> alone. With a nine cells battery, it is long enough for my needs.
>
> Overall, this recent laptop is the best FreeBSD on Laptop experience I have
> had so far (compared to a 2003 Acer, 2007 Lenovo, 2008 Asus Netbook, and the
> late 2009 Dell that I returned due to the noise).
>
> Unrelated to FreeBSD: The bright, non-glare, 1920x1080 display is also
> great and I am slowly getting used to the 16x9 aspect ratio. The display had
> to be repaired once, though, and the mainboard died for an earlier T510 --
> overall, 5 of about 30 T410/T510/X201(T) we bought here in 2010 already had
> to be repaired in some way, which is supposed to be an unusual high rate for

I would be interested by the T410s, that can be ordered with the Intel
Centrino Wireless-N 1000 card and the NVIDIA NVS Optimus Graphics 512MB (I
am not sure if it is the same GPU that you have). Assuming for now that the
Nvidia GPU is the same, do you think that would be a winning combo (for 3D
acceleration and suspend+resume)?

Thanks!