Date:      Fri, 6 Aug 2010 20:35:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Markus Gebert <markus.gebert@hostpoint.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS problem: file doesn't appear in file listing,	but can be accessed directly

> Subject: Re: NFS problem: file doesn't appear in file listing, but can be accessed directly
> On 03.08.2010, at 16:36, Attila Nagy wrote:
>
> >> You can try replacing the client and server with the experimental
> >> ones and see if that fixes the problem.
> >> For the client: mount with "-t newnfs" instead of "-t nfs"
> >> For the server: start both mountd and nfsd with the "-e" option
> > Sure. It works with the newnfs client, so it must be either a weird
> > interaction between the FreeBSD server and client (old), or a client
> > bug.
>
> Have you tried comparing on-the-wire NFS requests and responses
> between newnfs and legacy nfs clients for your test case? Maybe you
> can rule out the former like this. Or at least prove that the server
> actually responds correctly to the READDIR request.

Well, I looked at a packet capture emailed to me by Attila Nagy and
the filename shows up in the Lookup near the end (the "ls -la"), but
is not in any of the readdir replies (a search from the start of the
capture in wireshark only finds it at the Lookup). Therefore, I think
the problem is w.r.t. the server. (He did this failed case with the
"newnfs", so both clients see the problem.)

Attila, could you by any chance try switching to the experimental
server ("-e" on both mountd and nfsd) and see if the problem
persists?

(The experimental server may replace the regular one relatively
soon, so if the problem doesn't exist in the experimental one, I'm
tempted to leave it at that. If both servers have a problem,
it definitely needs further investigation.)

rick