Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 21:11:26 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Rafael Caballero Jr <rcaballero@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and a cable modem

Rafael Caballero Jr wrote to freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> I'm a newbie to FreeBSD as I've grown tired of Microsoft and chose to go
> with FreeBSD as my choice of server at home.

> I have a 233MHZ with 128 MB RAM. I've allocated 2.0 GB for FreeBSD as
> I plan on running it for squid, webserver, and proxy. I have 2 NIC's
> in it (3Com 3c905TX).  I have a cable modem that DHCP's my IP address
> so I've been trying to set up the ETH0 for DHCP but it will not allow
> me or does not recognize the DHCP server at RoadRunner. How do I set
> up my FreeBSD box to accept DHCP so that I can run NAT on my ETH1 so
> that it may serve as a proxy?

Just off the cuff, here, the proper identifier for the 905TX would be
"xl", not "eth".  "eth" is a linux thing, and is sometimes used here as a
"placeholder" or example NIC driver.

If that doesn't fix your problem, check your logs and see if your box is
actually trying to negotiate.  Find your current IP in another OS and try
setting things statically temporarily to see if it's actually a DHCP
problem, or a more general connectivity problem.

> I'm running FreeBSD 4.1 stable.
>
> Any ideas??
>
> Thanks in Advance.
> Rafael

  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Network Administrator, Accounts

  #106-380 3120 8th St E - Saskatoon, SK - S7H 0W2

        Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-664-1161   Saskatoon