Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 03:54:00 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        michaelh@cet.co.jp (Michael Hancock)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, Matthew.Alton@anheuser-busch.com, FreeBSD-fs@FreeBSD.ORG, Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Scott.Smallie@anheuser-busch.com
Subject:   Re: Stackable filesystems and SunOS 4.1.1

> You're missing the point.  The original proposal was for a non-stacked
> userland fs development environment where everything was to implemented
> from scratch so that it could be made as portable as possible.
>
> Is this ...
>
> 1) easy
> 2) less easy
>
> ... compared to the approach you used at your previous employer.  ;-)

Do I get all the VOP patches and private vnode management patches, and
my own advisory locking patches (it's easy to proxy a veto interface,
hard to proxy a lockmgr() call) and my namei() patches (the origin of
ISUNICODE in namei.h) and nameifree() as a base to work with?

If so, then it's about the same.  Much of the work in Windows 95 was
mapping the IFSMgr calls to VOP's, on the top end, and emulating about
70 kernel interfaces (down from the 126 FreeBSD's FFS requires) in
Windows 95 Ring 0.  Much of the complexity there was in the timer
outcall for the syncd, since Windows 95 "semaphores" are unfortunately
thread reentrant.  Most of the remaining 70 interfaces have corrolaries
in FreeBSD user space, being that FreeBSD is FreeBSD derived.  8-).

Do I have to proxy the grotesqueries that are the cookie interface,
instead of spliting the directory lookup, directory entry copyout,
the nameifree() asymmetry, etc.?  Then it's about twice the work.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.