Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2001 06:07:01 -0700
From:      Greg Shenaut <greg@bogslab.ucdavis.edu>
To:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New worm protection

In message <200109230836.f8N8akx29012@faith.cs.utah.edu>, David G Andersen cleopede:
>I like the following
>simple script, which is what I run on my webservers.

[script using a sleep(5) for delay purposes]

>NIMDA doesn't hang out for very long waiting for a response
>to the script headers, so a labrea-tarpit like approach won't
>actually be particularly effective.  The sleep(5) will slow
>it down a little bit, and the exit(0) will make it
>return with no data sent back, not even a 404.  Which
>will help a bit on the outbound bandwidth, but, of course
>won't help on the inbound.  Others have posted scripts to
>NANOG (see http://www.nanog.org/ and check the archive)
>that will automatically trigger ipfw / ipchains additions,
>but, as always, be particularly careful with those.

What would be the effect of having the web server ignore (as in,
make no response at all to) *any* attempt to GET a nonexistent
file? It seems to me that this would delay things maximally for
the attacker with the least effort at the server end.  But I
am concerned about the effect on innocent mistypers and web
crawling search engines (but not too concerned, frankly).

Greg Shenaut