Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 16:31:04 -0500
From:      "Kelly Yancey" <kbyanc@freedomnet.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   4.0-current VS 3.1-stable?

  I've been using FreeBSD since 2.1.5 and am familiar with the whole idea
that -stable is for servers, -current is for developers. I've always
restricted myself to -stable at work (Internet servers). But I am setting up
a server for someone else who already has a few linux servers (recent...they
went with linux because the kid setting them up worked part time there and
I'm just a mere consultant :( ). The problem is that I *know* they are going
to be comparing these machines to each other.
  I like the fact the FreeBSD is stable, and they are servers, so my first
inclination is 3.1-stable. But I read the freebsd-current mailing list daily
and am envious of all the new features going into it (new ATA code, many
bug-fixes, etc). The bug-fixes mainly interest me because I can't have
anything go wrong if I want to convert all of their other servers over to
FreeBSD too. Now, I don't read the -stable mailing list any more, so I don't
know if a) these bug fixes only apply to new bugs in 4.0 or b) have been
backported to 3.1-stable?
  My other rationalization for even considering 4.0-current is that it is
such a recent split. It would seem that the two branches couldn't be that
far from each other yet.

  So, please pardon my new spin on an old question, I'm looking for someone
with some more insight into the current state of both -current and -stable
(as of 3/4/99) to perhaps share a bit of that insight. The truth is that I
won't be installing FreeBSD there for probably another 2 days (perhaps
Soren's new ATA driver will have DMA support by then :) ...they still use
IDE, yuk). I really appreciate the help,

  Kelly
 ~kbyanc@posi.net~