Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 1995 01:52:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: shared /var for -stable and -current?

> Now that I've started running -stable and -current from two disks, it
> occured to me that the cleanup of log files etc. that occur from
> /etc/daily etc. will only apply to the operating system running at
> that time (of course).  Which means, one of the /var's will be left
> out.
>
> Which leads to the question of the day: are there any problems if I
> share the /var among the two versions?  Things like mail and stuff
> should be ok, ld.so.cache is rebuilt every time I reboot, /var/db/pkg
> better be shared because I have a common /usr/local and /usr/X11R6....
>
> Any opinions?

I would share /var between the 2 versions.  There are no changes that
I have seen to /var files that would effect you sharing this between
any 2.x release that is not handled during boot.  You may want to
force building all of /var/run/dev.db by rm'ing it before the
dev_mkdb as that may get confused with device numbers and slice code.