Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 22:54:56 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Ming-I Hsieh <mihs@wm28.csie.ncu.edu.tw>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why not let "sys/stat.h" include "sys/types.h"?

In message <3765B7DC.E87AD77C@wm28.csie.ncu.edu.tw> Ming-I Hsieh writes:
: Anyone can tell me why the ``sys/stat.h'' don't include ``sys/types''!
: It will cause some imcompatible between FreeBSD and some others UN*X.

Because it isn't supposed to.

STAT(2)                   FreeBSD System Calls Manual                  STAT(2)
     #include <sys/types.h>
     #include <sys/stat.h>
     int
     stat(const char *path, struct stat *sb)

I believe that posix and/or ANSI-C (now ISO-C, soon to be C9x)
requires that name space polution be limited in what sys/stat.h can
cause to be defined.

Warner