Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 17:05:00 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Kristian Soerensen <elof@image.dk>
Subject:   Re: Operating System comparison chart, FreeBSD-Linux

Sorry for the really slow reply--I've been pretty busy lately.

On Tue, Oct 14, 1997 at 12:00:13PM +0200, Kristian Soerensen wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Oct 1997, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
>> Hi!  I'm just finishing a book about FreeBSD, and one of the topics I
>> need to address is the difference between FreeBSD and Linux.  Since
>> you've done the same thing, maybe we can help each other.
>
> I will be happy to help, and I will certainly appreciate some help with
> FreeBSD. I haven't used FreeBSD as you might have guessed.

Thanks.  I'll be pleased to help.

> I actually prefer's Silicon Graphics with IRIX.

>> First, your comparison.  Here are some things that I think might need
>> correction:
>>
>> 1.  Periperals (note spelling :-)
> I know.
> Please bear with me -  english is just something I learned in school ;-)

Sorry, I wasn't trying to pick holes.  Native English speakers can
make typos, too, and since you spelt it correctly further down, I was
sure it was a typo.

> I've been working on a new version of the OS comparison, and
> lot of what you and other FreeBSD people have mentioned is fixed in the
> new version.
> It will be released soon, but you can see a preview on our internal
> test-site http://www.falconweb.com/~linuxhq/
>
>> Linux:
>>
>>    Drivers for most interesting peripherals in almost all areas of
>>    UNIX-computing.
>
>> It's very difficult to quantify this, and as you'll see in my draft
>> below, I echo the same suggestion that there are more drivers
>> available for FreeBSD than for Linux.  Others in the FreeBSD camp
>> contest this.  Certainly there's more than just basic stuff in the
>> list of FreeBSD peripherals, but we have the problem that we know of
>> no single peripheral that Linux supports and FreeBSD doesn't.  Can you
>> help here?  Tell me some peripherals which Linux supports and which
>> you think FreeBSD doesn't, and I'll check.
>
> I have rewritten that entry in the new version, but it still holds true.
>
> Some peripherals both basic stuff and fancy stuff, some of it might have
> FreeBSD support, I haven't checked that hard.
>
> Buslogic BT-958  The currently best UW SCSI host-adapter for the PC.
>                  The drivers were made by Buslogic and a Linux hacker,
>                  and released BEFORE the card itself !

It's nice to know they gave you access during development.  Very
positive for BusLogic.  I'm pretty sure we have support for them.  Our
people don't agree that it's the best, though.

> DPT RAID controllers

No, we have them.

> ISDN cards       I haven't compared but ther's sure a lot of ISDN cards
>                  for Linux
>    ftp://ftp.pop.de/pub2/linux/isdn4linux/FAQ/eng-i4l-faq.html
>                  http://www.spellcast.com

Yup, and for FreeBSD.  I started using the Teles.S0 18 months ago.
Linux was there first, I know, but we have it too.

> IDE and floppy tape-drives
>                  Most not completely obscure drives are supported.

Correct.  Our developers think that they are too tacky to touch.  I
disagree, though I can't imagine why I should entrust my data to
something so unreliable.

> FrameRelay and leased lines such as E1 E2 T1

Not sure about this one.

> I saw some drivers for an AGFA imagesetter.

Nor this.  Can you mention a model number?

> Livingston makes RADIUS software for Linux for managing network equipment.
> Many ISP's are using Livingston equipment and Linux PC's exclusively,
> eg. image.dk the ISP I'm using.

Yes, they're supported by FreeBSD as well.  The people who developed
Radius are active FreeBSD users.

> Ther's two comercial Xservers Xinside www.xi.com and
> Metro-X www.metrolink.com, with drivers for some of the cards XFree can't
> support for legal reasons, eg. Matrox Millenium drivers long before
> XFree86 had them.

Yes, both of them support FreeBSD.

> Motif 1.2, 2.0 and CDE, both certified and clones.

Also.

> Office-apps      WordPerfect, ApplixWare www.redhat.com,
>                  NExS www.xess.com, StarOffice,
>                  Corel Draw! (expensive and old),

We're off the hardware now.  FreeBSD runs Linux binaries, so it will
run all these.

> Science and Enginering
>                  Mathematica www.wolfram.com, NAG fortran compilers,
>                  NDP fortran www.microway.com
>
> Microsoft is working on ActiveX for Linux!
>                  Let's hope they don't finish it !-)

Right.  If they do, they'll probably embed a Trojan Horse.

> Order "The Linux Buyer's Guide" from www.ssc.com if you really want to
> know what's available. You will be impressed.

But that costs money!

> "Linux Journal" is a montly paper publication that has existed for 3.5
> years. Last issue (oct) had 114 pages 21x32.5 cm. You can order that from
> www.ssc.com as well.

Yes, I know Linux Journal.  I wrote an article for them on X11 setup a
couple of years ago.

>> Linux  is  a  clone  of  UNIX written by Linus Torvalds, a student in Helsinki,
>> Finland.  At the time, the BSD sources were not freely available, and so  Linus
>> wrote his own version of UNIX.
>>
>> Linux  is a superb example of how a few dedicated, clever people can produce an
>> operating system that is better than well-known commercial systems developed by
>> a  large number of trained software engineers.  It is better even than a number
>> of commercial UNIX systems.
>>
>> Obviously, I don't think Linux is as good as FreeBSD, or I wouldn't be  writing
>> this  book,  but the differences between FreeBSD and Linux are more a matter of
>> philosophy rather than of concept.  Here are a few contrasts:
>

>>                Table 1-1.  Differences between FreeBSD and Linux
>>
>> FreeBSD is a direct  descendent  of  the   Linux is a clone and never contained any
>> original  UNIX,  though  it  contains no   AT&T code
>> residual AT&T code.
>
> Linux was designed to be posix complient, and a hacked version has
> actually been certified. Some SysV and BSD feautures have been added for
> backwards compatibility.

That's not a contradiction, but it might be an addition.  I'll think
about adding it to the table.

>> FreeBSD  is a complete operating system,   Linux is a kernel, personally maintained
>> maintained by a central group  of  soft-   by  a  Linus  Torvalds.   The non-kernel
>> ware  developers.   There  is  only  one   programs supplied with Linux are part of
>> distribution of FreeBSD.                   a  distribution, of which there are sev-
>>                                            eral.
>>
>> FreeBSD aims to be a  stable  production   Linux  is  still a ``bleeding edge'' de-
>> environment.                               velopment environment, though many  dis-
>>                                            tributions  aim to make it more suitable
>>                                            for production use.
>
> Linux has been on space-missions.
> Linux is included in factory machines.
> Linux controls Fujitec elevators.
> Linux is stable.

Well, this last one should probably read "there are stable versions of
Linux".  As with FreeBSD, there are also bleeding edge versions.

> The versions where the 2. number is even is stable, those with a odd 2.
> number is development versions.
> Current stable version is 2.0. The development version 2.1 will someday
> turn into the stable 2.2 version. The 3. number is patchlevel.

Thanks for the info.

>> As a result of the centralized  develop-   The ease of installation  of  Linux  de-
>> ment  style,  FreeBSD is straightforward   pends  on  the ``distribution''.  If you
>> and easy to install.                       switch from one distribution of Linux to
>>                                            another,  you'll have to learn a new set
>>                                            of installation tools.
>
> Most people are using the RedHat or  Debian distributions.
> They are based on upgrade/installation/uninstallation software that keeps
> track of dependencies among programs, and allows single button-press
> "upgrade everything" upgrading of a Linux box, as well as the tried and
> true "download - inspect - configure - compile - install" method.
>
> Some of the other distributions are using RedHat's software so
> programs packaged in RedHat's format can be used on all these
> distributions.

Again, thanks for the info.  I'll consider including it.

>> As a result of the lack of knowledge  of   A growing amount of commercial  software
>> FreeBSD, not much commercial software is   is becoming available for Linux.
>> available for it.
>
> Yes indeed.
>
>> As  a  result  of the smaller user base,   Just  about any new board will soon have
>> FreeBSD is less likely to  have  drivers   a driver for Linux.
>> for brand-new boards than Linux.
>
> Proberly not the WINdows only crap that's starting to appear (eg. printers
> and modems).

Yes, but we're trying to ignore them :-)

>> Because of the lack of commercial appli-   Linux appears not to need to be able  to
>> cations  and  drivers,  FreeBSD will run   run FreeBSD programs or drivers.
>> most Linux programs, whether  commercial
>> or  not.  It's also relatively simple to
>> port Linux drivers to FreeBSD.
>
> Linux can run many Windows 3.*, mac, sco and SysV binaries.

With wine?  Yes, we have it on FreeBSD as well.

> Ther's a standard Unix on Intel binary standard in the works, supported by
> most venders, and Linux himself is involved.

ibcs2?  Or something newer?

>> FreeBSD has a large number of afficiona-   Linux has a large number of afficionados
>> dos who are prepared  to  flame  anybody   who  are  prepared  to flame anybody who
>> who  dares  suggest that it's not better   dares suggest that it's not better  than
>> than Linux.                                FreeBSD.
>
> Linux people generally dont recognice FreeBSD. They are normally pointing
> out that Linux is much better than NT and Solaris.

Unfortunately, there are enough on either side.  But maybe I should
change the text to show that it's still a minority.

> Linux is eg. closer to being complete 64 bit on UltraSparc than SUN's own
> Solaris, and runs big applications on PC's with less RAM than NT needs for
> running the OS itself.

:-)  Of course, nobody measures real operating systems by NT.

> The Linux community is turning away from being hacker/hobbyist Linux
> lovers, and into more business oriented people. Proberly because Linux is
> actually being used a lot in the real-world.

Hmmm.  Interesting.  I've heard some of our flamers turning this
around and claiming that the Linux people are becoming mercenaries.
Maybe it is time that I re-subscribe to Linux Journal.

Greg