Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 17:14:12 -0600
From:      Mark Kobussen <skjellyfetti@iname.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   LAN - FBSD, W95, DOS....

--------------4DC76A36D4BCCAD91668CAAD

I'm currently working on my local LAN, all of which is centered on a P90
running FreeBSD 2.1.5 (I know, I know... Only CD's I have and my
connection is SO slow... - I ordered FBSD 3.0 from Walnut Creek, it's on
back-order, and yes, I ordered the CURRENT version, not the NEXT
version).  Anyway, I've finally got the computers pinging each other
(just the BSD box and the W95 box), and I've got Samba to announce to
the W95 box it is up (so my computer always shows up under my workgroup,
fennario.net).  Next thing:  I've tried connecting to the services on my
FBSD box from the W95 machine, and keep getting password failures -
although I defined the system as public.  So, I went ahead and added the
Registry Key that makes Windows use plain text passwords.  Didn't help.
Then, I redid the entire smb.conf file, so now it tries to connect to
IPC$ (Could this be the problem?) and I get a password failure.  I have
a feeling that this resource can't be directly accessed.  Also, I have
no idea how to mount the W95 drive from my FBSD box.

Next question:

I have a 486DX\33 sitting around with a lot of old but important files
on it.  Would it be possible for me to install FBSD on a small portion
of the root drive, allowing it to share the MS-DOS file system OVER the
LAN?  I have no idea if this is possible, but I'm sure I will shortly.
=)

Thanks in advance!

--
Mark Kobussen
IS - Honeywell, SGP Division

/* '94 Mitsubishi Eclipse NT 1.8L */
/* Fender Stratocaster: Tex-Mex, 3-Tone Sunburst */

--------------4DC76A36D4BCCAD91668CAAD

begin:          vcard
fn:             Mark Kobussen
n:              Kobussen;Mark
org:            Honeywell, SGP Division
email;internet: skjellyfetti@iname.com
title:          MIS
note:           '94 Mitsubishi Eclipse NT 1.8L <BR> Fender Stratocaster - Tex Mex, 3-tone Sunburst w\ White Pickguard
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard