Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2012 04:40:04 -0400
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller23@insightbb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Why Clang

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 01:06:12PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> >for commercial sponsors of FreeBSD, it has zero bearing on FreeBSD itself. If FreeBSD appears
> >as a subsidiary of some commercial company (say Juniper) i am not sure this will be good
>
> I think any project that size is actually a subsidiary and must be.
>
> I just don't like that it isn't stated openly! It is nothing wrong,
> unless one can feed using zero point energy, everyone needs money to
> stay alive.
>
> Wouldn't it be smarter to openly say "Juniper request as to get rid
> o GPL as soon as we can because they are fed up with this shit and
> law mess." instead of personal attacks, messing with my (and others)
> sentences and posting evident lies just to "explain" the decision.
>
> It is a difference between honest people and fools.
>
> i already proposed (but not publically) to turn FreeBSD into
> commercial system.
>
> REALLY i would not see a problem to pay say 100$ per server licence.

from Chad Perrin:

> I would see a problem with that -- not because I don't think FreeBSD is
> worth it.  I do, and I think it is worth more than that, in fact.  The
> biggest problem with what you propose, though, is that it would destroy
> the social factors in development of the FreeBSD system that make it what
> it is, and thus destroy FreeBSD itself, as far as I am concerned.
> Eliminating the copyfree licensed, open source development model of
> FreeBSD would undermine the majority of the technical benefits supported
> by that development model.

> I would have thought that even you should be able to understand that
> without help.

(snip)

Turning FreeBSD into a commercial system would turn a lot of users to other BSD or Linux, myself included.

I ran IBM OS/2 from 1.3 to (Warp) 4 until a disk crash in April 2001, after which I was never again able to boot any OS/2, and I sure tried.

Closed source was one severe drawback, why I certainly prefer either Linux or FreeBSD.

Actually there is a continuation/successor to OS/2, namely eComStation (www.ecomstation.com) but no way would I go that way!

Either Linux or FreeBSD is far ahead now!

There actually is/was a closed-source BSD (BSDI), and there is Mac OS X, with BSD under the covers.

Tom