Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 1996 07:10:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Webster <andrew@fortress.org>
To:        Dror Matalon <dror@hopf.dnai.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ERROR info:747d9d asc:11,0 Unrecovered read error, other SCSI , issues

On Wed, 5 Jun 1996, Dror Matalon wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> We're using an NCR 53c825 wide scsi controller with 3
> Quantum XP34300W 4.3 Fast Wide SCSI drives on a pentium 133
> as our news machine.
>
> We started getting the messages:
> sd0(ncr0:0:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:7476a9 asc:11,0 Unrecovered read error
> , retries:4
> sd0(ncr0:0:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:7476a9 asc:11,0 Unrecovered read error
> , retries:3
>
> These messages always complain about 2 addresses 7476a9 and 747d9d.
> We suspect that these are on the swap area of the first disk.

Very interesting, I had a bad experience almost a year ago where a system
ate two of these Quantum XP34300 drives in two months, and it wasn't a news
server!

This was a P133 with AHA-2940 with FreeBSD 2.0.5.  What I'd noticed in
both cases was that when lots of seek activity occurs, occasionally, the
drive would stop seeking and a loud "ringing" sound would be heard from
the drive for a couple of seconds, and then it would continue seeking.
I've seen this in a couple of other vendor's drives as well. I suspect
that the head/arm mechanism may start resonating due to the speed at which
the seeks are being done, and this may lead to head crashes.  In the case
of the Quantum drives, both drives, when they failed, had bad spots all
over the disks!

I don't think the problem was related to heat, as the drive was in an
external enclosure with its own fan.

After two disks suffering the same fate, I switched the disk for a Seagate
and all the problems went away!

Bleeding edge technology?  Maybe!

Andrew Webster  - andrew@pubnix.net - http://www.pubnix.net
PubNIX Montreal - Connected to the world - Branche au monde
 514-990-5911   - P.O. Box 147, Cote St-Luc, Quebec, H4V 2Y3