Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 20:08:52 -0700
From:      "Jake Hamby" <jehamby@anobject.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <jehamby@anobject.com>
Subject:   Dell Inspiron 3500 with 3CCFE575-BT running Win98 SE won't talk to FreeBSD on LAN

Hi,

I just got a new Dell Inspiron 3500 laptop (running Windows 98 SE and the
latest drivers from the Dell site) and have been having a very strange
problem getting it to talk to our FreeBSD gateway on our apartment's
100Base-TX LAN.  If the only computers on the LAN are the FreeBSD server
(originally running 3.2-STABLE, now upgraded to 3.3-RC with the same
problem), then I can't ping or connect to the FreeBSD box.  Sometimes after
many minutes, the connection mysteriously comes up, but this is rare.
However, if there's another machine on the LAN (in particular, if I boot up
my Linux desktop), everything starts working immediately.

I've tried to run a packet sniffer to see what's going on, but I can't run
anything on the FreeBSD box (I tried sniffit, but it dumped core
immediately, perhaps an incompatibility with natd, dhcpd, or the DE21140
chipset Ethernet card?).  If I run sniffit on Linux, then everything seems
normal, but as I've mentioned, the mere presence of Linux on the LAN causes
everything to work anyway.

I've looked for info on the Dell site, the 3Com site, and the Microsoft
site, but to no avail.  If this is a bug on the laptop end, then it only
seems to affect FreeBSD.  Any info you can give on how to fix this, or how
to produce more debugging info, would be greatly appreciated.  TIA!

Here's some more info on the hardware in use:

Laptop:
Dell Inspiron 3500
3Com 3CCFE575-BT card
Windows 98 SE

Hub:
ETHER-DH8S (got at the computer show, don't know the brand, "Made in
Taiwan")

PC:
generic Pentium-166
FreeBSD 3.3-RC
Intel EtherExpress Pro connected to cable modem
NetGear (Digital 21140A chipset) connected to hub

-Jake Hamby